Sunday, April 10, 2011

Good vs Bad - Thoughts from a Good Sabres fan

Last night, via twitter, @akrygier mentioned that Sabres fans are with a direct twitter quote; "I don't mean that I think the are good, they are clearly not. buffalo is a shit-hole and their fans confirmed that one-by-one." This statement really miffed this Sabres fan. I'm not all knowing when it comes to matters of fan perception.  However, time has taught this fan at least one thing. We all have come across certain people who wear the same colors and emblems, but are not what we would consider the same as "us" in our fandom.

My thinking on @akrygier 's statement was the saying; "One bad apple spoils the bunch." That statement does not always hold true. Things one witnesses at a sporting event or reads from an online statement can be easily perceived out of context. The person directly speaking slurs, causing the problem, or creating the statement may not be thinking the same way as the person that sees or reads the aforementioned happenings. We should always keep in mind there are good fans and "bad apple" fans. To consider all fans "Bad" because of an adverse interaction is not fair to those who are good fans.

For the record, this fan has never and will never bully, voice derogatory slurs, or become physically violent  in any matter pertaining to a sporting event outcome. Sports are what they are, children's games and entertainment for fans. Don't get me wrong, I'm very emotionally attached to my favorite teams. To quote @akrygier: "spare me the pontification", I and all of my fellow Sabres friends, are good fans. Please take time to be open minded, realize not everyone is "everyone."

Take care and Cheers from the Cheap Seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment