Monday, April 8, 2013

Red Wings Opener, Twins & Dyl Birthday Baseball

    Saturday April 6, 2013, Alicia and I took the boys, Dylan, Sean, Tyler & Travis, to the Rochester Red Wings Home Opener. The Red Wings were facing the Buffalo Bisons, Triple A International League game. We took the boys for baseball and to celebrate some birthdays. Dylan turned 15 on April 4th and Tyler & Travis turned 8 on April 7th.


Front to back - Dylan, Sean, Travis, Tyler, and Me!


Travis


Tyler


Left to Right - Travis, Sean, & Tyler

     Before the game, some of the Red Wings did some pre-game warm ups. Throwing, stretching, and running. The boys all went to the field rail hoping for a player to toss them or hand them a ball. Well, Tyler got that opportunity. Mark Sobolewski, 3B #4, for the Red Wings gave Tyler the warm up ball he was using to throw with to get warmed up. Mark walked over, put the ball in Tyler's glove, told Tyler to have fun at the game, and tapped Tyler on the cap brim. Lets just say Tyler was a little more than excited. He talked to me about it for most of the early game!

Thanks Mark, for taking the time, to give Tyler a ball and talk with him.

     In the middle of the third inning, I decided to get the boys some cotton candy. Tyler went with me and during our walk he noticed a young boy in a wheel chair. Tyler said to me "that little boy probably can't get baseballs from players, he can't get down to the field. Daddy, I should give him my ball." I was caught off guard and so very proud all at the same time. I told Tyler that would be a great thing to do. We walked over to the boy, Drew, and his father. Tyler walked up, offered his ball, by setting the ball on the boys crossed arms and said "here you can have my ball." The father and Drew both thanked Tyler very much, Drew's father and I shook hands. I was so very proud of my son and his gesture.
     I immediately went to the souvenir shop, bought a brand new Int'l League ball, to reward my son for his good deed.

     Later, at the bottom of the 6th inning, the boys got to see their names up on the jumbotron for their birthday wishes. The Red Wings didn't do so well, in the game, losing to the Bisons, but it was a very good day. Hopefully the boys remember the day for years to come, I know I will. 



Thanks all and Cheers from the Cheap Seats.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment